Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Shaken, Stirred or Changed?

While sitting in service on Sunday morning, listening to our pastor preach, he told us that we needed to stir up the enthusiasm we had when The Church of God was first set in order in Oklahoma City, stir up the desire to expect God to move, and to stir up that motivation to follow God's leading and work.  As he went on with the message, the thought "shaken, stirred or changed" popped into my head. 

As I have thought about those three words, I realized that many, throughout the years, have had their lives shaken, by natural disaster, by national tragedy or by personal tragedies.  In those moments, many will turn to Christ and to church, but given a few months separation from those events and they return to the same ole way they've always lived.

Many people sit in congregations every Sunday and they're stirred in their spirits or their emotions and they are ready to reach the world...but give 'em a few days and the cares of life will quickly distract them.

I have had my beliefs shaken to the core and am in the process of coming to know and understand why I believe the way I do.  I'm not willing to believe in something just because I've heard it all my life.  I'm not willing to believe in something just because that's the way the Church teaches it.  I'm not willing to believe in something just because those I love, do.  What I believe must be supported and lined out in the Word of God.  Without that knowledge, understanding and support of His Word, my beliefs are worthless.

Weekly, my heart is stirred to action, but how often does the cares of this life choke out out that desire that was stirred in my soul?

This past Sunday's message, caused me to stop and evaluate how I really want to be.  I don't want to simply be shaken or stirred, I want my life to be changed by the hand of Almighty God.  I want all the impurities burned away.  I want my motives and actions to be pure.  I want to live a life of holiness that when I am asked about it, I can point to the Word of God and be able to share my beliefs simply so that others may see and come to know Him as their Savior too.

We are to walk humbly before our God.  We are to love others as ourselves and we are to forgive as Christ has forgiven us.  Some days that is a tall order...but God's grace is sufficient for all our needs and even on those days, He will grant us the grace to walk, love and forgive.  So...what will you choose...stirred, shaken or changed?

Until next time...

Tammi

2 comments:

~Jess~ said...

I enjoyed the message Sunday and I enjoyed reading this. I want my life to be change by God. We must have an understanding of our beliefs that are Bible based because without the knowledge of the Word then we are only going though the motions and living something because we have been told to and that's not good enough anymore. I want more and I need more. Thanks for sharing!

Tammy K. said...

I liked that post. I don't know how I missed it. Good little sermon Sis.Tammi :o)